The city is situated about 35 km from Zalakaros on the bank of Lake Balaton. The town, which is called the “capital of Balaton”, has approximately 25.000 inhabitants.
Count Kristóf Festetics began to build the castle in 1745. The family kept expanding it in the course of the centuries, and it reached its present state and form in the last century.
Georgikon Farm Museum
The museum operates in the building of the former farm, its exhibitions are open.
In the museum the “Lake Balaton and man” constant exhibition and high-quality art-exhibitions can be seen.
Dollmuseum – Panoptikum – Csigaparlament
In the museum by the pedestrian precinct, which is the biggest doll museum of Middle-Europe, dolls wearing historical national dresses can be seen.
In the homely atmosphere of this confectionary own-made domestic and Viennese confectionary specialities and a confectionary exhibition comprising of almost 100 different decoration works can be found.
The first horror place of Hungary in the city centre of Keszthely, Kossuth u.11.
The city is situated approximately 18 km from Zalakaros. The number of its inhabitants is more than 60.000.
The Elisabeth square that was named after Queen Elisabeth can be found in the centre of the city.
In the northern part of the square can be seen the Turkish Well, which is named this way because according to local legend its octagonal stone lower part comes from the Turkish period palace.
Thúry György Museum
The exhibition in the museum entitled “People, routes and relations” begins with the display of ancient everyday life while guiding visitors into each archeological period, and finally showing the medieval castle of Kanizsa. After these it revives the “Golden Age”, 18th – 19th century, blooming Kanizsa. Computerized town and era guides colour the permanent exhibition.
A monument-like building which was built in the beginning of the 19th century. It has been reconstructed more times since then. Today the reconstructed building houses concerts and cultural programmes.
A monument, which was built in the 18th century. At the same time a Franciscan monastery was also built which today serves as the city library.
The point of interest in connection with the baroque church is that its holy water stoop once used to be a Turkish gravestone.
House of Fine Arts
The permanent exhibition of Erzsebet Brunner and Erzsebet Sas Brunner painters, as well as of painter Istvan Z. Soos.
Hungarian Poster House
One of its kind in the country, the museum was opened in an old granary building in the city centre.
The Rowing-lake, which can be found 5 km from the city centre, in the direction of Kaposvár, on the left side of the road, provides rowing and fishing possibilities for excursionists.
The lookout turret is located 500 metres from the lake, from where it is possible to have a view of the surrounding area and Nagykanizsa.
Fishing lake near Galambok
Near Galambok between picturesque forests and hills there is a fishpond offering pleasant entertainment primarily for the lovers of fishing, but it may as well be the destination for smaller excursions or tours.
In the fishing-lake carps, crucians, walleyes, amúrs, breams, pikes and cat-fishes live. Fishing is permitted from 1 May until 30 November daily from 4 a.m. to 11 p.m. A fishing-ticket may be obtained on the location from the river-keeper every day between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m.
The village of Galambok
Roman Catholic church – The present church was built in 1801-1802. Its richly painted architecture may have been made in Dorffmaister’s workshop. The high altar painting is the work of Dorffmaister junior.
Homokkomárom, the municipality in the vicinity of Nagykanizsa, became one of the most important expiation centres in Transdanubea with pilgrims frequenting the municipality all over the year.
The destination of their pilgrimage is the Roman-Catholic church devoted to Virgin Mary, standing at the highest point of the municipality on the picturesque eastern part of a hillside. The church was built in the middle of the 18th century in Baroque style. It was the painting of the Holy Virgin that turned the church into a place of pilgrimage. The votive painting was found during earthworks for the foundation of the church. Legend says that the painting from the 17th century was found amidst the roofs of a lime tree. The painting shows the Holy Virgin holding the divine infant in her arms. There are several reports about miraculous healings after touching the painting, or praying in front of it.
The old monastery next to the church was also built in Baroque style. The adjacent modern part is the Monastery of the Community of Eight Beatitudes, exhibiting a piece of the relic of Ladislaus Batthyány-Strattman, the doctor of the poor, who was beatified 2003.
Sights in and around Zalakaros – click on the name for more information: